About the title “Half Broke Horses”
- Lily: a half-broke horse herself / a remarkable woman / a wild woman
- Lily defends her own principles
- She refuses to give up what she believes in
- She rarely compromises
- Rosemary: a strong, wild thing with a rebellious personality –> “a little like a half-broke horse”.
- “I began to worry that Rosemary was unfocused and that if we didn’t stamp it out early, it could become a permanent part of her character.” (Lily about Rosemary) –> Lily —as a half-broke horse herself—feels that she has to/ can break others to make them useful for society.
- Half-broke horses are useless for civilization
- The title is also a metaphor for Americans as a whole, as a country of immigrants: The newcomers had to be broken to be redefined as Americans.